Welcome back! It’s been a summer to remember with earthquakes, hurricanes, heat waves, and, here on the West Coast, unseasonably cool temperatures. Weather notwithstanding, in the “warm” months we tend to break rules more easily and that’s okay because if not in summer, then when? Kathrin and I have had our share of treats this year (we’ve favored ice cream, wine, and burritos on the go); nevertheless, the ritual of Labor Day puts a fine point on the end of summer and is a great time to regroup on how to eat for the rest of year. This Labor Day Kathrin and I made a pact to commit to one change for the better in our approach to eating. We invite you to join us.
To prepare a meat dish in the slow cooker weekly; to part from her Italian heritage for an evening every week by cooking an interesting rice dish that isn’t risotto; and, to cook a whole fish weekly so that her children learn what her fisherman father taught her. Kathrin is an overachiever.
To work off all of the extra ice cream, wine and burritos by preparing and eating a homemade salad everyday. Jessica is an underachiever, and a bit heavier than when the summer started.
Some Other Pacts to Consider (in case you need a push in the right direction)
- Limit your dinners out to once or twice a week.
- Serve a fresh piece of fruit with every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Cut back on the sugary desserts by 50% (replace with fruit if you like something sweet).
- Try a new recipe once week. Don’t worry, we’ll send you inspiration for this one.
- Follow Mario Batali’s orange crocks and commit to Meatless Mondays at your house.
- Try to buy the five colors of fruits and vegetables every time you go to the store. We dare you to find five of each (fruits and vegetables).
- Join a CSA! Join a CSA! Join a CSA!
- Avoid processed food.
So, are you an overachiever or underachiever? Does it matter? Not really. Just pick a challenge – the one that suits your lifestyle best – give it a try and know this: we are your biggest fans for making a go of it! Come and cook with us!